Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Khoresht Fesenjan (Walnut & Pomegranate Stew)

















A festive Persian walnut stew, this dish is very unique with it's somewhat sweet and sour flavor coming from the pomegranate juice, and the crunchy texture from the ground walnuts.You may make it with or without meat and serve it over white Persian rice.


INGREDIENTS
8 chicken thigh pieces
1 onion
2 bay leaves
4 cups ground walnuts (~600g whole walnuts)
1 tbsp flour
1 cup pomegranate paste (Persian food aisle, or order online!)



METHOD
1.       Toast the walnuts, make sure they don’t burn, let them cool to room temperature, grind them finely in food processor.
2.       Use cast iron pot, slightly toast 1 tbsp of flour, add 2 cups water and mix until no clumps. No need to wait for boil.
3.       Add the walnuts and cook covered on low heat until oil starts to bubble on the top, ~1hr. Mix often, don’t let them burn.
4.       Add 1 cup of pomegranate paste and some salt.
5.       May add 2tbsp sugar to make less sour.
6.       Separately, sauté chopped onion, to translucency.
7.       Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to onion.
8.       Turn chicken pieces after a few minutes, add bay leaves, ½ cup water and cook covered for 30min.
9.       Add the chicken to the stew and cook a little longer for chicken to absorb flavor.
10.  Garnish with pomegranate seeds for presentation.



No comments:

Post a Comment