Most likely the tastiest ice cream you'll ever have, period! Persian ice cream is simply vanilla ice cream flavored with saffron and rose water to give it it's unique taste and accompanied by crunchy pistachios for the final touch. You may find rose water in Persian or middle eastern stores, and if you can, try to find the real Persian Saffron and not the Spanish kind. Prep time is literally 5-10 minutes and the result is simply heavenly! If you don't have these ingredients handy but are dying to try this ice cream, hop over to your nearest Persian restaurant for a taste :)
1 quart Vanilla ice cream
1/2 - 1 small container heavy cream
½ tsp saffron
2 tbsp rose water¾ cup pistachios
1. Place heavy cream in a ziplock bag or flat container and place in freezer over night.
2. Place the ice cream container in the fridge to soften to room temperature.
3. Dissolve ½ tsp saffron in 2 tbsp boiling water and let cool.
4. Place pistachios in a ziplock back and use a hammer to crush them.
5. When heavy cream has frozen solid crush it into small pieces (about 5mm). They don't need to be even, simply small enough chunks to blend into the ice cream.
6. When the ice cream is soft, mix in the saffron water, the rose water, the pistachio chunks, and the cream chunks.
7. Mix well and place the mixture in the freezer for a few hours.
8. Serve garnished with pistachios and other nuts on top if desired.