Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Golubtsi / Sarmale (Stuffed Cabbage or Grape Leaves)












This is my favorite food of all times, from when I was very little to this very day. Golubtsi refer to cabbage leaves or grape leaves stuffed with a mixture of ground meat and rice. You may use this same mixture to also stuff red bell peppers, which may be a little less work since you don't have to do any wrapping. Many countries have their recipes for stuffed vegetables or grape leaves, and all somewhat vary. The kind that we make have more meat and are bigger and less standard in size than the ones that you usually see in the Mediterranean section of the supermarket, which are usually skinny and have mostly rice in them. The flavor of these is distinct from others, so even if you've tried them before, don't rule out this recipe!


INGREDIENTS
1 lb ground turkey
1 medium onion
1 medium carrot
1 tbsp tomato paste
Dill
1.5 tsp Salt
Chicken soup powder (1-2 tbsp for a large pot)
Heaping ½ cup rice
Cabbage head / grape leaves
Sour cream – to serve


METHOD
1.       Chop onion and fry with regular canola oil.
2.       Largely grate the carrot and add to onion to fry some more.
3.       Add 1tbsp tomato paste, some dill, and mix well.
4.       Remove from heat, add to the meat and add some salt.
5.       Mix in ½ cup of rice after washing it well and add salt or chicken soup powder.
6.       If using cabbage, cut off the head. Boil water and when boils throw in the leaves for few seconds until they separate. Immediately remove, put in a bowl and close it for them to soften. The spine should be cut off the leaves.
7.  If using grape leaves, start from here. Stuff the leaves by putting some of the filling in the middle in an elongated shape. Fold in length wise, then both sides, then the other edge. 
8.   Put in a pot, cover with boiling water with chicken soup powder, bring to boil, and let simmer for an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment