Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Friday, November 9, 2012

Chicken Tajine with Potatoes and Green Olives







Tajine refers to the infamous north african earthenware pot designed especially to allow the evaporating liquids to cool as they come up and thus drip back down into the dish being cooked. Many types of stews and dishes exist in the various countries in which this method of preparation is common, and often times the stews are served alongside a serving of couscous. This special method of slow cooking allows the meats and vegetables that make up the various stews to become very tender and aromatic, giving Tajine dishes a unique taste that leaves you wanting more!

This particular tajine recipe has moroccan influence in it's creation, but simply came to be on one chilly autumn night from ingredients that I had laying around the house. So I don't have any famous or official dish names for this one, but it turned out to be absolutely delicious so I had to share the creation! 



INGREDIENTS
1.5lb chicken thighs
2 medium potatoes
1 large onion
1 large carrot
1 large apple
½ can pitted green olives
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp chopped ginger
2 tsp shawarma spice
2 tsp moroccan paprika (1 tsp for milder spiciness)
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
5 tsp chicken soup powder
1 tsp turmeric
Ghee/Coconut oil/Butter
Olive oil

2 cups Couscous
3 cups water
1-2 tbsp salt


METHOD
1.    Chop the onion and fry in ghee until transparent (personally I use a combination of coconut oil and olive oil, but you can use butter with olive oil instead).
2.    Add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, shawarma spice, paprika, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, chicken soup powder, and turmeric. Alternatively, if you don't have chicken soup powder simply use chicken broth instead of the water in the following steps.
3.    Cut chicken into stewing size cubes, add to tajine and brown lightly.
4.    Add enough water (or chicken broth) to cover the chicken.
5.    Cube the potatoes and apple, coarsely grate the carrot, and add to tajine along with the green olives. Make sure the liquid covers most of the content of the pot, but don't overfill. 
6.    Cover and cook on low for 1hour until all ingredients are soft.
7.   Couscous preparation: boil 3 cups water, add 1-2tbsp salt (to taste) and place couscous in the water, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for 5minutes and fluff with fork. Transfer the couscous to a large container where the couscous can breathe and be properly fluffed.
8.   Serve all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment