Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Khoresht Ghaime (Yellow Split Peas Stew)


Khoresht Ghaime is a Persian yellow split pea stew, served over white Persian rice and often garnished with french fries. Simple, delicious, and heart warming!


INGREDIENTS
750g stewing beef/lamb/chicken
250g yellow split peas
3-4 onions
500g potatoes
½ cup oil
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
3-4 crushed dried limes (available in Persian stores)
Salt
Pepper
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp paprika

METHOD
1.   Soak peas in warm water for 2-3 hrs
2.   Fry onions, add meat to brown.
3.   Add 3 cups of water and bring to boil.
4.   Simmer for 1-1.5 hrs until mostly cooked, adding more water if needed.
5.   Peel and cut potatoes to small cubes.
6.  Add potatoes, peas, salt and pepper, turmeric, paprika, limes (punch holes in them before adding to stew), tomato paste, and continue boiling until cooked, adding water if needed. 
7.  Serve over white rice, garnish with french fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment