Khoresht Ghaime is a Persian yellow split pea stew, served over white Persian rice and often garnished with french fries. Simple, delicious, and heart warming!
750g stewing beef/lamb/chicken
250g yellow split peas
½ cup oil
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
3-4 crushed dried limes (available in Persian stores)
1 tbsp turmeric1 tbsp paprika
1. Soak peas in warm water for 2-3 hrs
2. Fry onions, add meat to brown.
3. Add 3 cups of water and bring to boil.
4. Simmer for 1-1.5 hrs until mostly cooked, adding more water if needed.
5. Peel and cut potatoes to small cubes.6. Add potatoes, peas, salt and pepper, turmeric, paprika, limes (punch holes in them before adding to stew), tomato paste, and continue boiling until cooked, adding water if needed.
7. Serve over white rice, garnish with french fries.