Kubbeh is a favorite Iraqi dish, which also has many different types, however this one is my personal favorite. It consists of a bulgar shell with meat on the inside and can be served as an appetizer or part of a main dish.
8oz fine bulgur wheat
1 red chili
1lb ground lamb
2/3 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tsp ground allspice4 tbsp cilantro
1. Soak wheat for 15mins in cold water.
2. Mix with coarsely chopped chili, onion, half the meat, salt and pepper.
3. Cook 1 finely chopped onion with pine nuts in olive oil for 5mins.
4. Add allspice and remaining meat, cook while gently breaking up the meat until it browns.
5. Stir in cilantro and seasoning.
6. Form the shell mix into a pie and divide to 12 wedges (when using 1lb of meat). Form Kubbeh by placing the meat filling into each peace and closing.
7. Pour oil to 2” depth, let sizzle, and deep fry kubbeh for 5min until golden.