Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pita Bread / Pita with Za'atar





Pita bread is a well known basic middle eastern food. The pocket inside is used to make sandwiches of all sorts, or alternatively, pieces are torn off and used to "wipe hummus," as we say in Israel, basically referring to dipping pita bread in hummus dip. Another favorite variation of the pita is called "pita im za'atar." This is a pita without the pocket and covered with olive oil and a special spice called Za'atar which you can find in either international/mediterranean markets, or in the mediterranean section of your regular supermarket. It is a kids and adults favorite alike, I highly recommend to try this version of the pita! Find more great recipes like this in my favorite book: The Book of New Israeli Food: A Culinary Journey


INGREDIENTS
3.5 cups bread flour
25g (1oz) fresh yeast or 1.5 pack active dry yeast
1.5 cups water
1 tbsp sugar
½ tbsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Za’atar spice mix:
½ cup za’atar
2 tbsp sesame seed
1 tbsp sumac
½ cup drid hyssop or oregano
½ tsp salt
½ cup olive oil
**The za'atar spice that is sold around here already has sesame seeds so I didn't add any additional sesame or oregano when I made it.


METHOD
1.       Mix the yeast with the flour in a mixer with kneading hook. Add water, sugar, salt, olive oil, and knead for 10mins until dough is smooth, shiny and slightly sticky. If you don't have a kneading hook (which I don't), you can do by hand just the same. 
2.       Transfer to a large greased bowl, sprinkle with olive oil, cover with cling wrap and allow to rise to twice its size.
3.       Place dough on floured surface, divide to 10 parts, roll each into a ball, cover with moist towel, and let sit for 10mins.
4.       Roll each ball into a disk 10-12cm in diameter and ½cm thick.
5.       Preheat oven to 500F and bake for 5mins until they swell and begin to show golden spots. Avoid over baking, cover with kitchen towel for few mins to keep them soft.
6.   For pita with za’atar: combine ½ cup of za’atar spice mix with ½ cup olive oil, coarse salt, few drops of lemon juice, to form paste. Spread 1 tbsp on each pita, bake at 400F for 10mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment