Another one of my absolute favorites, Moussaka is a classic dish from the greek-mediterranean-balkan-eastern european region. There are many variations of the recipe, but Moussaka is basically a dish of sauted eggplants, tomato, and ground meat. The recipe I will share here is from my grandma, it is very simple and exceptionally tasty!
1.5 kg ground beef (may use turkey for healthier version)
Flour for dipping
Tomato paste (optional)2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
1. Cut eggplants into round 1cm thick pieces. Cover them in salt and let sit for an hour to drain the bitter liquid.
2. Wash off the bitter liquid and salt, dry the pieces.
3. Dip each piece in flour. Fry each piece till golden.
4. Separately, fry chopped onion till golden, add ground beef (may use 50-50 pork and beef). Fry for about 30mins, stirring, until meat is brown.
5. Take a cooking pot or 2 baking trays: put layer of eggplants, meat, cover with either crushed tomatoes or tomato paste, then add another layer of eggplants, meat, and tomatoes, salt and pepper at the tomato layers. Using crushed tomatoes turns out tastier!6. Cook for 30min on the stove or put in baking dish, cover with foil and bake on 400-450F for 30mins.