Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Moussaka (Eggplant and Ground Meat Casserole)


Another one of my absolute favorites, Moussaka is a classic dish from the greek-mediterranean-balkan-eastern european region. There are many variations of the recipe, but Moussaka is basically a dish of sauted eggplants, tomato, and ground meat. The recipe I will share here is from my grandma, it is very simple and exceptionally tasty!


INGREDIENTS
4 eggplants
1.5 kg ground beef (may use turkey for healthier version)
1 onion
Flour for dipping
Sunflower oil
Tomato paste (optional)
2  28oz cans of crushed tomatoes


METHOD
1.       Cut eggplants into round 1cm thick pieces. Cover them in salt and let sit for an hour to drain the bitter liquid.
2.       Wash off the bitter liquid and salt, dry the pieces.
3.       Dip each piece in flour. Fry each piece till golden.
4.       Separately, fry chopped onion till golden, add ground beef (may use 50-50 pork and beef). Fry for about 30mins, stirring, until meat is brown.
5.       Take a cooking pot or 2 baking trays: put layer of eggplants, meat, cover with either crushed tomatoes or tomato paste, then add another layer of eggplants, meat, and tomatoes, salt and pepper at the tomato layers. Using crushed tomatoes turns out tastier!
 6. Cook for 30min on the stove or put in baking dish, cover with foil and bake on 400-450F for 30mins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment