Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Shepherd's Pie














A classic Irish dish, with many worldly variations, is this delicious combination of baked minced meat with a layer of mashed potatoes on top.


INGREDIENTS
1.5lbs ground lamb/beef
½ onion, diced
3 tbsp flour
1.25 cup beef broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 cups frozen mixed veggies
2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup milk
½ stick (¼ cup) butter
1 cup shredded Irish cheddar
Salt and pepper


METHOD
1.       Brown ground lamb and onion, stir in flour and cook for 2 mins.
2.       Stir in the broth, and once it's incorporated add the salt, pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and thawed mixed vegetables.
3.       Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then transfer into a 13 x 9 dish. 
4.       Add the potatoes and garlic to a saucepan, cover with cold water, and add a large pinch of salt.
5.       Simmer on medium-low until tender, about 25 minutes.
6.       Drain, add back to the saucepan, add the milk and butter; mash the potatoes, then stir in the cheddar cheese.
7.       Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. 
8.       Cover the lamb mixture with the mashed potatoes, and spread evenly with a fork creating some peaks.
9.       Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 25 minutes, or until golden. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment