A festive Persian walnut stew, this dish is very unique with it's somewhat sweet and sour flavor coming from the pomegranate juice, and the crunchy texture from the ground walnuts.You may make it with or without meat and serve it over white Persian rice.
8 chicken thigh pieces
2 bay leaves
4 cups ground walnuts (~600g whole walnuts)
1 tbsp flour1 cup pomegranate paste (Persian food aisle, or order online!)
1. Toast the walnuts, make sure they don’t burn, let them cool to room temperature, grind them finely in food processor.
2. Use cast iron pot, slightly toast 1 tbsp of flour, add 2 cups water and mix until no clumps. No need to wait for boil.
3. Add the walnuts and cook covered on low heat until oil starts to bubble on the top, ~1hr. Mix often, don’t let them burn.
4. Add 1 cup of pomegranate paste and some salt.
5. May add 2tbsp sugar to make less sour.
6. Separately, sauté chopped onion, to translucency.
7. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to onion.
8. Turn chicken pieces after a few minutes, add bay leaves, ½ cup water and cook covered for 30min.
9. Add the chicken to the stew and cook a little longer for chicken to absorb flavor.10. Garnish with pomegranate seeds for presentation.