This ebeliskiver is a little more gourmet, combining unique flavors of sage and goat cheese into one delicious bite. It can make for a very unique appetizer for a dinner party!
1 cup all purpose flour
1.5 tsp sugar
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
21 small fresh sage leaves3.5 tbsp chilled and crumbled goat cheese
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Separately, whisk egg yolks, whisk in milk, and melted but cooled butter.
3. Add yolk mixture to flour mixture, stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Don’t over stir, batter will be lumpy.
4. Separately, using an electric mixer on high speed beat the egg whites until still peaks form. Using a silicone spatula, fold about 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold the rest until no white streaks remain. Use batter right away.
5. Brush the wells of the pan with some melted butter and place over medium heat. When butter starts to bubble place a sage leaf in each well, add 1 tbsp batter to each well, then 1 rounded tsp goat cheese, and top off with 1 tbsp batter. Cook until bottoms are lightly browned, turn them over, and cook until other side is lightly browned.6. Remove and keep warm in a 200F oven