One of my favorite Persian rices, this rice contains lentils, dates, and raisins. It is somewhat sweet and crunchy, and a big party hit as well. This recipe has ground lamb but you can easily leave it out and make it a lighter, vegetarian rice dish. Follow the general guidelines for Polow & Tah-dig when making this dish.
400g ground lamb/beef
½ tsp saffron
2 large onions
Salt and pepper
1. Cook rice in salted water 10-15min, drain when slightly soft, but not ready yet.
2. Cook lentils in 2-3 cups of boiling water 15-20mins.
3. Fry meat with onions, salt and pepper for 10mins, and 1 cup water and cook until absorbed.
4. In rice cooker or non-stick pot, place ½ cup water, a bit oil, then rice, meat, lentils, raisins, dates, raisins, rice. If cooking on stove, cover lid with kitchen towel to seal tightly, cook initially on high for tah-dig (crunch layer of rice), then lower and cook on low heat for 40mins.
5. Cover with saffron when ready.