Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Adas Polow (Lentil and Raisin Rice)
















One of my favorite Persian rices, this rice contains lentils, dates, and raisins. It is somewhat sweet and crunchy, and a big party hit as well. This recipe has ground lamb but you can easily leave it out and make it a lighter, vegetarian rice dish. Follow the general guidelines for Polow & Tah-dig when making this dish.


INGREDIENTS
400g lentils
500g rice
400g ground lamb/beef
100g dates
120g raisins
½ tsp saffron
2 large onions
Salt and pepper
Cinnamon
Turmeric
Cumin


METHOD
1.       Cook rice in salted water 10-15min, drain when slightly soft, but not ready yet.
2.       Cook lentils in 2-3 cups of boiling water 15-20mins.
3.       Fry meat with onions, salt and pepper for 10mins, and 1 cup water and cook until absorbed.
4.       In rice cooker or non-stick pot, place ½ cup water, a bit oil, then rice, meat, lentils, raisins, dates, raisins, rice. If cooking on stove, cover lid with kitchen towel to seal tightly, cook initially on high for tah-dig (crunch layer of rice), then lower and cook on low heat for 40mins. 
5.       Cover with saffron when ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment