Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Belgian Waffle

A wonderful breakfast choice for a cold winter morning is a savory Belgian waffle, covered with your favorite toppings, to leave a sweet taste in your mouth for the rest of the day! The difference between American waffles and Belgian waffles is the use of yeast, which gives it the special aroma and taste that is so unique. Make the batter the night before since it needs to rise and in the morning you don't have to work nearly as hard!


INGREDIENTS
 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 pack (7g) instant dry yeast
4 medium eggs
1 ¾ cups whole milk
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 pack vanilla sugar (or 1 cup white sugar +  1 tsp vanilla extract)
1 tsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ cup soda water (optional)



METHOD
1.   Warm 1 cup milk to luke warm, mix in yeast and 1tsp sugar and set aside in warm area.
**I know many times we substitute all the sugar in the recipes for a sweetener of some sort, but when working with yeast you must use real sugar because it activates the yeast so make sure you don't substitute on this step. 
2.   Melt the butter to the point of melting
3.   Separate egg yolks from whites. Beat the whites on medium for 1minute and then on high until they look fluffy and form peaks.
4.   In a large bowl mix flour, vanilla sugar, and salt.
5.   Make a dip in the middle and add yolks, yeast and milk mix, and butter. Mix by hand, mixtures will be doughy.
6.   Then mix in remaining milk ¼ cup at a time. Can replace some with sparkling water. Continue to smooth consistency, thicker than pancake mix. The thicker the batter, the fluffier the waffle.
7.   Fold in whipped egg whites just until they blend in.
8.  Cover and let rise in warm place over night or 4 hours at least is ideal, but may rise in 30-60mins.
9.  Use your favorite waffle machine as instructed to prepare the waffles. Serve during any meal you wish with your favorite toppings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment