Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blini

















An old typical Russian food, these little yeast pancakes are usually served with smoked salmon or caviar. However, using buckwheat flour can be very palate-specific and not to everyone's liking. If you're feeling adventurous, try these out.


INGREDIENTS
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 active dried yeast ( ¼ oz)
1 tsp salt
1 egg, separated
1 tsp sugar
¾ cup lukewarm milk
1 tbsp butter for sautéing



METHOD
1.       Mix the flour, yeast, and salt and make a well in the middle.
2.       Beat egg yolk with sugar and ¾ cup warm water and add to the well. Mix well and cover with damp cloth to let rise until doubles in size – about 2 hrs.
3.       Beat in the milk to make a thick, creamy batter, cover and leave for 1 hr until small bubbles appear on the surface.
4.       Beat the egg white to soft peak stage, then fold into the batter.
5.       Heat a heavy-bottom skillet or crêpe pan and brush with butter.
6.       Drop 1 tsp of batter to make a blin about 1 inch in diameter.
7.       Put on a plate in the oven to keep warm while you make the rest and don’t stack them on top of each other
8.     Serve with sour cream, caviar, salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment