Hi everyone, welcome to my blog!
Here I will post my kitchen experiments and favorite recipes. A little about my influences - I was born in Moldova, I grew up in Israel, I moved to the USA, and I studied abroad in both Argentina and France. I've also traveled quite a bit and had friends from all over the world, so you can expect to find quite the random assortment of foods on this blog! However, if they made it here it means they've been tried and joyfully devoured!
Cooking food from places around the world is a journey for me and I love finding recipes from places I've been or haven't been and give them a try, so if you have any favorites, don't hesitate to share!
So here it is, I finally decided to find me a place online where all my journeys can coalesce, enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Traditional Couscous Soup





















Couscous, to those unfamiliar with it, is a traditional Moroccan dish that is made of semolina wheat. It is typically eaten with this vegetable soup or other types of stew-like sauces. Today couscous has become quite popular around the world and in most supermarkets you can buy a box of instant couscous without a problem, all it takes is covering it with boiling water and waiting a few minutes. The lengthier part is this soup, but couscous can be eaten simply with salt as a side dish next to just about anything, so if you've never tried couscous before you can start out light!

INGREDIENTS
1 cup chickpeas soaked in cold water overnight and rinsed
4 carrots cut into 2-3 pieces
4 medium potatoes, quartered
1 large onion, quartered
Salt
Pepper
Small pinch of saffron or 1.5 tsp turmeric
200g pumpkin into 4-5 chunks
½ of a green cabbage, quartered
4-5 stalks celery, peeled and cut coarsely, save the leaves
½ kg couscous



METHOD
1.   Put the chickpeas in a large saucepan, cover with water and cook for 30min until tender.
2.  Add the carrots, potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, saffron or turmeric, and cook for 45min until vegetables are tender.
3.   Add remaining vegetables, except celery leaves, cook 15mins, until tender.
4.   Taste and adjust seasoning, add the celery leaves and cook 15mins.
5.  Prepare couscous and serve soup on top of cous cous.

No comments:

Post a Comment